Nowadays, the dietary sodium chloride intake is higher than the daily recommended levels, especially due to its prominent presence in food products. This may cause an increase of high blood pressure leading to cardiovascular diseases. Cereal products, and in particular bread, are the main source of salt in human diet. However, salt is a critical ingredient in bread making, and its reduction can have a negative impact on bread quality.
Function of Sodium Chloride in bread:
In general, the functions of salt in bread are summarized as:
• Sensory effect by imparting flavor
• Control of yeast growth and fermentation rate
• Improvement of product texture
• Reduction of spoilage, particularly mould spoilage.
The main technological effects of salt on the process of bread baking are summarized as:
• The development of gluten-structures in the mixing of
dough is promoted.
• Yeast activity is inhibited during the fermentation step,
which results in a lower gas release.
• Water activity is controlled in the baked products.
• Formation of a fine elastic crumb during baking
A level of +/- 2% Sodium Chloride is quite the optimum for the bakery process.
REFORMULATION APPROACH FOR SODIUM REDUCTION IN THE BAKERY INDUSTRY:
• Potassium Chloride: The replacement of salt with potassium chloride does not result in any significant production disadvantages but has an adverse impact on the flavor of bread once the substitution level rises above 30% of sodium chloride
• Replacement of sodium containing ingredients (e. g. Sodiumbicarbonate, Sodiumcarbonate or Sodiumacetate) with the corresponding potassium minerals (e. g. Potassiumbicarbonate, Potassiumcarbonate or Potassiumacetate)
• Mineral Salts (K/Mg/Ca): breads prepared with this solution were found to be comparable to regular bread with respect to flavor and texture. No negative effect has been reported even at lower salt levels.
We as SALT Minerals are experts in regards of sodium replacement and we have developed different options to reduce the sodium content:
Now available as the most effective sodium replacer in the processed food market. Used as a partial replacement for sodium chloride allowing the sodium content in the final product to be reduced by up to 70% with no significant change in end product taste, texture or quality.
Provides a complete low sodium solution for manufacturers that are currently using sodium carbonate.
Provides a complete low sodium solution for manufacturers that are currently using sodium bicarbonate. Clearly, it is a healthier alternative to sodium bicarbonate. Used in the meat and baking industries. A simple replacement can reduce the sodium uptake up to a 50% whilst retaining the most important quality parameters.
Provides a complete low sodium solution for manufacturers that are currently using sodium acetate.
MinSal-Pro is a purely mineral diet salt, that reduces (in comparison to common
table salt) Sodium by 60%, providing full taste of Sea Salt.
MinSal-Light is a purely mineral diet salt, that reduces (in comparison to
common table salt) Sodium by 30%, providing full taste of Sea Salt.
MinSal-TM is a purely mineral premix designed and adapted to your formulation and demand.
MinSal-One Grain is a natural low sodium salt with 30-40% less sodium by nature designed for clean labeling.